Thread: Caulk
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Motor31

If you are going to caulk on the roof you need to have a type that is compatible with the style of roof you have. Some caulks are not rated for use with an EPDM membrane style roof. I used a DAP self leveling caulk that was specifically made to work wit the roof membrane.

Make sure you look and see if the flapper style weather seals are laying flat against the surface they are supposed to seal against. Mine were cut a bit short by the factory in a couple areas. Also look to make sure they overlap properly to route water around and past the joints of the slide and wall areas.

Check the seams of the slides for small cracks and gaps in caulk. There seemed to be a shortage of caulk when my rig was made. The bead wasn't large enough to cover the gap in several areas including around the fan openings. Also look for broken screws in the edges of the cap mounting points. DT had a problem with using either a screw not rated for the load or in over torqueing in instalation and then not replacing the broken screws.

Don't forget to look at the sliding seal on windows where the opening pane of glass is sealed. On ours one of them wasn't installed properly and allowed water to flow right past into the frame and wall of the rig. If it's not seated properly it won't seal.

I've chased leaks in our rig from the first month of owning it and had to simply do it myself to get it done right.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote