Thread: Electric heater
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
RV parks aren't set up for 240 on 50 amp service. And what advantage would you have on a 13.5 or 15K AC unit?
Or observations are different. We've only visited 1ea. RV CG that our 240V clothes dryer was not operable in a 50A service (locked out by PCS showing 30A service). Upon inquiring with management they dispatched an electrician who was able to re-arrange the supplied pedestal beakers. Apparently they'd done some work and re installed the 50 amp pair on the same buss in the panel. Although it is possible that 50A service can be provided with 2ea. 120V legs on the same phase (transformer taps) it's uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmascheck View Post
I'm thinking about buying one or two electric heaters for the trailer. I have noticed a couple of Lasko units that have great ratings, but thought others may have a different opinion.
One feature that we've found imperative with space heaters and RV's is, They need to have the capability to be set in a lower wattage setting. If they only come on, or revert to the high (1500W) setting they are just a breaker looking to be reset. Especially since there are few if any dedicated circuits with nothing else on them in RVs.

I wish they had 240 volt units, that would sure help on amperage, but I'd have to run a separate circuit. Can it be done? Problems?
Yes it can be done, But. Much would depend on the accessibility of all the components, wire chase / basement access to where you'd like the circuit placed.
This task would be more geared toward an advanced DIY'r or electrician. Our 240V circuit was wired from the mfr.

I also wonder why the AC's are not 240 volt??
As is noted travelers are not guarantied 50A service as they travel. So an occasional 30A service (or less) would in effect render the A/C(s) inoperable. We can easily do without our dryer for a short period of time. The A/C I think not.

Do some folks have heat pump style AC's. If you have Coleman AC's can they be changed out to heat pumps? Good idea? H/Ps are indeed very popular in RV use. H/Ps in general can have very high efficiency coefficient in ideal conditions. Outside of those ideal conditions (low temps, high humidity) the defrost cycles can be a drawback and in effect divert heat / energy outside. Or they simply mechanically lock out, reverting to a secondary energy source. As far as comfort, they tend to rely on higher airflow volumes that may not be as warm as folks would like blowing on them. Also in a rooftop situation the warmer air is more present toward the ceiling, rather than on your feet and legs.
All are very much a personal preference. I've had custom ground source fluid hydronic HP's that were phenomenal. Air to air that were not worth the trouble. YMMV. To swap out a functioning A/C to HP is doable providing there is ample capability for the supplemental / aux. heat.
Since CGs typically do not charge for Elect. short term, there may not be a negligible payback for the expenditure. Again there a no absolutes and YMMV.

Sure seems it would be better having 240, less amps and a cost savings.
Charges for electricity are based on actual wattage used not just on current or potential alone.
Cheers.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote