Thread: Basement Door
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Gemstone

This is a very old thread, long since resolved.

"Maybe the screws are loosing up that's why the door were starting to comes out. you shoud try to look for distributor where you can find set of tools that can help you on this".

Thanks for the suggestion, but the screws were coming loose due to poor engineering on the part of DRV. I've long since repaired the issue, without the help of a "distributor", just by getting creative and doing my own research.

For those who own newer rigs, you may not be aware of previous methods DRV used to affix the gas struts to the large basement door, a door by the way which is nothing more than foam covered by a thin film of wood and an even thinner plastic outer covering.

DRV decided that a flimsy piece of 1/16" aluminum, glued and pop riveted to the door would hold the gas strut...well after many cycles of opening and closing, the pop rivets would pop out of the styrofoam door (gee, who would have thought that might happen), and the thin aluminum would bend. the only thing they did do correctly was to use good glue, but even that will only last so long.

After many complaints, DRV incorporated the aluminum plate inside the door, below the surface, actually giving the screws or pop rivets holding the gas struts something to hold on to.

My fix was to get a 3/16" 8x8 inch piece of aluminum cut for each strut attachment, the appropriate glue/sealant was used, then short screws were used to hold the plate in place while the glue cured. 2 years later, the repair is holding up just fine.

Regards
Gemstone