View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
I purchased one today and installed it. Took all of 3 minutes. What I don't understand is how does it work when there is no direct cable hookup and the mount is plastic with plastic push "nuts"????
The Wingard antenna is a bowtie design which is a form of a folded dipole. This is a single element antenna that has broad bulbous lobes off the side and therefore less affected by direction. Adding elements - a reflector - longer element behind the driven element (one with the wires); and directors - progressively shorter elements in front of the driven element increases the gain by narrowing the focus of the lobes creating an increased signal but in a narrower focus (more directional). There is no physical connection between elements but the length and spacing is critical. Very similar to the traditional Yagi or LP antenna designs on traditional over the air antennas we used to see on every house. The Wingman adds only the director -- I presume there is a conductive piece embedded in the plastic to provide the necessary element.

This is a simplified description of a complex subject. I hope it helps solve the mystery.

Good to know you are getting good results. I have read conflicting reports on how well the Wingman works. I guess I will have to pick one up when I am in Yuma and try it for myself.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote