Thread: Dometic Fridge
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #53
Free To Roam

OK, here is the ltest, and, perhaps the LAST experience in this adventure.
Yesterday, the 26th of July, 2011, an engineer from Dometic came down to our campground, in Anderson, Indiana. Replaced a suspected faulty fill valve, outside in the refrigerator cabinet. Not a bif problem, got it replaced.
Came inside, forced the ice maker to cycle, and walah, flood city.
Water poured from around the ice maker. As I originally suspected, the fill tube was mis-aligned, all along.
What an ordeal to fix that, as it turned out to be.
I was glad an engineer, who knew the construction details of the box was here, and not a service technician.
It was several hours defrosting with a hair dryer, mopping up, and disassembling the entire freezer section, just to get the ice maker out.
Once freed rom the icy grip, of a large build up of ice from the mis-aligned spout, re-assemble went smoothly, and, soon, we had ice cubes aplenty, without the flood inside the ice making equipment.
Lessons learned by the engineer, 1. re design the spout to make it possible to actually see it, to confirm whether it is properly aligned, as is, it is not possible to see, or touch it. 2. re design entire ice maker installation, so as not to have to completely dis-assimble the freezer compartment to service it. 3. re design outer cabinet access to all controls in the rear, tidy up the electical connections, and make the mother board box accessible, for folks with normal size hands.
In short, if you have ever said, "I wish the guys that designed this thing had to work on it", well, he just did!
Justice was served!
He was a terriffic fellow, learned a lot, and for now, we seem to have a box that cools and makes ice.

Interesting note of information, he said their standard of cooling is that the box temp would stay at or below 43 degrees, with the outside temp at 110 degrees.
They had come up with a baffle, can be installed by a dealer, necessary to scoot the box out a bit, that's why a dealer, and it direct the air from the fans over the fins more directly, resulting in a couple degrees cooler inside.

I was able to get service from them, not necessary to threaten, or cuss, just be reasonable. They did a great job of getting to the bottom of the mess....took a lot of time....but we Got 'er Done!