View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
Motor31

My Volvo is a 2001 model. It had under 500,000 miles on it and was an autoshift. It had several other nice options as well including a brand new 12 volt fridge in the sleeper area, all new rubber all around and all aluminum wheels. The appearance was practically brand new as far as the cab was concerned. You could compare easily as there were new ones close to it in the lot.

I bought it for $34k. I had to replace one seal on the transmission out put shaft at under $100.00 total labor included. I had the truck serviced and all synthetic lube in the differentials and transmission, I use dino juice for the engine (rotella). I had a very simple bed fabricated for it and installed at under $3,000.00 and the other mods I needed for motorhome classification for Montana I did on my own for less than $100.00 again. In my home state the 3/4 ton PU's were going for $40k and the 1 tons $45k to 53k. The MDT's were way more expensive than the PU's including used ones. A used "baby Freightliner (4400 or 4700 model I believe) were running over $65k for a 4 year old model.

I average 8.5 MPG towing in over 28 states including the Rockies, Ozarks and Smokie Mountains. The absolute worst I get is 7.5 and that is a ton of intown stop and go with ountains and headwinds. Not towing I average 10 to 12 MPG and of course I dismount my motorcycle and get 40+ MPG running errands and seeing the sights.

As far as I am concerned this is the absolute best and least expensive way to go for a FULLTIMER. It is not necessarily the solution for a part timer, especially if they cannot register a conversion motohome in their state like Arizona. You have the weight capacity, brake capacity, heavy duty exhaust braking, comfort AND quiet while driving. This rig is no wider than my old Ford dually and is way quieter and more comfortable to drive with slightly better towing mileage than I had with a 7,000 lb 5th wheel in tow. It's easy to drive and once you get over the fact you are higher in the seat it's great to be able to see over the cornfields at the countryside.

We use the truck as a daily driver and have been in numerous small towns with and without the trailer. We even got to within 2 blocks of Niagara Falls in one and parked to go look at them.

They, like RVing aren't for everyone but if it fits what you want to do it is head and shoulders about a light duty truck for towing in every respect except for tight spaces when not towing.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote