View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
fjr vfr

Personally I don't know how a transmission could overheat backing in reverse? Reverse gear is so very low geared and you're moving at something like 2 mph.
My current truck is 2wd and my driveway is steeper than yours. I have a 6'4" standard bed truck. I bought a manual slider hitch and after 5 years traveling coast to coast and shorter trips every year have not used the hitch in the slide position. My trailer, like most today has a rounded nose. I'm backing up hill into my driveway at a full, (and sometimes past) 90 degrees and haven't been close to hitting the cab.
Also my previous 4wd truck would jump and hop cornering on dry pavement. The owners manual even stated to not use 4wd on dry pavement.
Now after saying all that, here's the disclaimer. This is my experience and your results may vary....lol
I would think a 2wd truck should level out better connected to a 5th wheel and hence less susceptible to a clearance issue than a 4wd truck. So your situation may be a little different? I had a bumper pull trailer I pulled with my previous 4wd truck.
Oh, one more thing, I've been dragging trailers around for decades and I do know it's back there even if it sometimes it doesn't feel like it.
I was a motor pool Sargent and did a lot of recovery work with my army wrecker, although a long time ago...I'm very old...lol I also worked as a truck mechanic back in the mid 60's. As I said, I'm old...ha
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote