View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
RML850

I just traded my 2011 Chevy 3500 (big red) diesel on a new Chev 2500 gas. You definitely need to get the 4:10 rear end to get decent towing. I live in Florida so diesel was an overkill for my rig. I only drive 5000 miles year so longevity of a diesel is not a factor and I figured it would take 100K miles in better diesel mpg to make up for extra $10K diesel price. I tow 9360# Wildcat and while I miss the power of the diesel and ride of the long bed quad cab, the new quad cab Chevy 2500 standard bed had no problems towing my rig. Be sure to check available payload of the truck as posted in door jam ( on the tire pressure decal). Chevy specs claim over 3000# payload but my truck with 20" tires and running board had factory posted payload of 2675#. Wet weight with Hitch, passengers and tools was 7380#. I ran my truck and trailer across cat scales and all weights were ideal with 20% pin weight. My reason for trading diesel was my warranty expiration. My diesel with 40K miles had to visit the dealer at least 3 times a year for check engine lights, mostly for diesel exhaust fluid system. 2011 was first year of DEF and had many issues. Usually took 3-4 days per visit. I think GM has fixed most issues in later models but like you, diesel doesn't make sense for smaller rigs.
RML850 is offline   Reply With Quote