Thread: Tow Vehicle
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

tow vehicles

Opting for a 3/4Ton vehicle is a good choice. I would think that the trailer will be closer to 4500-5000lbs, tho. Still easy for a 3/4T.
But trying to recommend a make/model is tough--I am a Ford person, so naturally lean that way. I think most all Mfgs make a decent vehicle, but when buying used, how the previous owner(s) took care of it is very important. If you find one you like, see if there are any maintainance records available. The main reference for used vehicles in the US is CarFax--a computerized database for vehicle records--but it can miss a lot of stuff. If you consider buying a used Ford, ask a Ford dealer for the OASIS records on the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)--they will be able to provide a printout of all service done at a Ford dealer since it was sold.
Is the trailer a bumper pull (Travel Trailer) or a Fifth Wheel trailer? If it is a bumper pull, the type of hitch you have can be very important in towing stability.
I sincerely hope you success in your efforts to get a towing combination that works well--and that you ultimately get the two years of travel without many problems. The US is a great place to explore by RV and camping.
Joe

Other sources for information on the internet:

www.MyRVTalk.com
www.IRV2.com
www.RV.net

MyRVTalk is particularly friendly and full of helpfull advice--you can make some good contacts and visit some of them in your travels.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote