View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #17
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
When we decided to go the full time route, searched the pros and cons with motorhome and 5th wheel. Decided to go 5th wheel and truck combo from someone selling used as a unit. We lived in Detroit area, and found a combo in southern California. I flew out to inspect, see and drive the truck and made a deal. Flew home and then within a few weeks drove a lease car we were going to turn in out there, picked up the unit, and turned in the car. Had the owner help me get the rig to a local RV park, where I had pre-arranged to have a driving instructor teach my wife and myself how the heck to drive it back to Michigan. We paid for 2 days and having NEVER driven anything like that before was we felt, needed.
Well worth the money, I'm sure that education saved us a few scrapes and bumps plus a couple of $1,000 deductibles on the trip home. We figured if the right combo was found from a caring owner we would be much farther along than buying a new trailer and truck. If we decided we just didn't like the full time life style, we could sell it off and not be losing a ton of cash. We stayed in the full time life for 8 years. Did upgrade the trailer after about 1 year to a nicer/better trailer.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote