Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
Motor31

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet
I was surprised also, but even more surprised by the total lack of responses. I don't know if the average Suites owner just can't use $200 or if they feel it's inappropriate to refer another person. Some people may feel uncomfortable & maybe some owners feel they made a mistake buying a Suites. I just thought I would share my positive experience with the referral program.
Frankly, I wouldn't want to wish our experience (still continuing to be the "gift that keeps on giving us the shaft" after 6 years) with the brand on anyone I care for or about. Getting $200 to do that to our friends would be kind of like the 30 pieces of silver in our case.
I am trying to understand why we have such different views of DRV. Can you tell me what brands of fifth wheels you have owned before DRV that you are comparing to DRV? Also, what bad experiences you have had with DRV? I really appreciate your help!

The difference in views is pretty darn simple. Our rig has been a problem from the first 24 hours we owned it. It took over 2 weeks to get out of the dealers lot when we picked it up because of the issues with the trailer that they were unable or unwilling to fix. The tech finally told us his manager would assign him to make the repairs then 10 minutes later call him off of our rig to go work on another customers rig hoping we would get tired and just leave. When we did leave we got 100 miles away and opened the door to find the sliding pocket door between the kitchen and bedroom was now in the basement partially blocking the doorway. I took another week and a couple days back at the dealer to get that and other items we found that had not been repaired even though the tech crossed them off of the list. We got 800 miles away and the washing machine pump quit, again. We then went to the factory at their request back 800 miles one way to get the same items fixed again. The leaks were never fixed. I did those including removing the window entirely to put caulk sealant in the window frame where it had been left on the side of the frame instead of the mating surface with the slide wall by the craftsmen at the factory.

I also found a shock absorber mount broken away from the frame. When I looked at the other 3 I found there was not a single bead weld on any of them. Just temporary tack welds to hold them in place prior to putting a proper weld. I had that fixed in Tucson, less than 5 minutes of welding that should have been done when the rig was built. I also had the fancy bike receiver hitch disengage itself from the bottom of the frame then re insert itself into the back cap. It did so be cause there was not a single weld bead on it, just more temporary tack dots. No penetration of the base metal or either the frame or hitch. It was held on by welding rod slag that let go when it touched the ground leaving an inclined driveway.

We have had 4 hydraulic pumps, a main jack, 2 heatpump AC's, a cooling plant in the fridge, oilcanning furnace duct work, leaks upon leaks including multiple windows, entry door and basement access hatches, collapsing door mounts, broken screw heads embedded in caulk rather than replacing the screw. Too few screws holding structural items, improperly adjusted slide mechanisms, Plumbing that did not have threaded finger screw fittings tightened more than just a thread or two so that they sprayed inside the wall and basement. Free flowing air under the kitchen slide where the factory cut notches in the only slide seal so that dirt and bugs have free access into the living area.

Those were all items in the first 4 years we owned the rig and are not all of them either.

Right now I have a door side slide that is dragging on the carpet embedding dirt and water from some unknown source into the living room when the slide is moved. A kitchen slide tearing up the linoleum when it is moved in to travel position. I have replaced the angle aluminum twice now under the single roller for the weight bearing portion of the center partition of the kitchen side slide.

This is just the stuff I can recall off of the top of my head to put in a 5 minute typing session. I know there are other things like stripped out and cross threaded hydraulic fittings on hoses that I also took care of on my own.

These items are not fair wear and tear other than the refrigerator.

In all seriousness there there other items I have not listed. We ordered the rig, waited 14 weeks on a 12 week delivery promise and have had non stop problems.

Our previous trailers were a Nash 23' I used full time for over a year that require no repairs other than the fridge cooling plant sprung a leak.

We then had a Petersen Excel 36' for more than a year of full time use. There were no repairs on it other than from a tire blow out that Goodyear covered. I would have gone back to Excel but they only made 36' long units and we wanted a larger one with bigger fresh water tank.

So excuse me if I don't wave the pom poms for the brand but anyone I care about would not get a referral for DRV from me.

In regards to the don't be happy change the rig, we are not living high on the hog. We retired as early as my wife could so we could full time after her bout with cancer. At this time we are both cancer survivors and on limited pensions so dumping this rig with a loan still on it to buy another one at a price almost as high as we paid for a 2100 sq ft stick house with a 3 car garage just isn't going to happen. If someone has the money to do that, more power to ya but we do not.

Keep in mind this is our home, not some weekend camper we just sling behind the tow vehicle for recreation.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote