Thread: Volvo
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #23
Motor31

Lee,

Yup I bought it used. It has about 500,000 on it and it has been pretty darn reliable as well.

As far as the rest of your diatribe is concerned, it's pretty much bogus. The only electrical fault I have had is the solenoid wire to the starter broke at the connection. The crimp on connector broke which can happen to any motorvehicle with a starter since it's a pretty universal connection. That's the only electrical failure I've had in almost 3 years of ownership.

These trucks are built to have a rather heavy duty lifestyle and run reliably for over a million miles before the first overhaul. I don't know of any other vehicles that are built as stout or for as much reliability as these are. I run about as many miles in a year on it as a regular trucker would do in 3 weeks. If these trucks were as fragile as Lee is claiming the country would come to a stand still due to the lack of delivery of just about everything. Everything that gets to a store, gas station or any other retail outlet gets there by truck.

The company that bought it new did trade it in on a new model. They traded it in not because it was falling apart, or because it was a maintenance hog but because after 3 years it had the best trade in value at that time for purchase of a new truck and after 3 years they had the best ammortization situation for their finances.

Now I certainly don't spend a lot of time working on it or getting it serviced. Once a year does it for maintenance including oil changes. About every 5,000 miles I check the brakes. I spend more time maintaining my 1 year old 5th wheel than my truck. It's had more than a couple failures in that time period, more than the truck has had since I bought it in 04.

In the mean time I have been able to tow my 5er with plenty of power, slow it down and stop it on any kind of road grade and certainly don't have to be concerned with towing overloaded like a light duty 1 ton would be with my trailer. I also get the same or better fuel mileage towing that I did with our previous Ford. I have not had to "chip" the engine or transmission, install heavier springs and I even didn't have to install a hitch as the hitch that came with it fit the trailer. I did change it later just because the RV style was a little easier to operate.

I went from an F350 to the Volvo and the ride is smoother, quieter, more relaxing and I can do a long day of 500 miles and feel good insterad of exhausted at the end of the day like I was with my Ford.

Before you start to buy into the "story" that Lee has supplied you might want to talk to some folks who had HDT's. There is a "national rally" in Wichita the last week in September in 07. There are also some smaller gatherings in various parts of the country informally. In Tucson there has been 2 of us at DMAFB and a third will likely get here in either January or February. You are welcome to ask questions and get information from any of us. All you have to do is ask. You also don't have to be an owner to attend the rally in Wichita either. We don't require that you have anything but a desire to learn, have a good time and be sociable. We don't care what you drive in, or that you even drive there at all. Just come on down.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote