View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
bstark

Mike; I don't get it with some of these posts. I had the hydraulic discs and if ordering again would go for them in a hearbeat.

The maintenance issues with them is virtually nil as they're almost too easy to inspect by eye by simply sticking your head under there and taking a close look to observe the remaining pad thickness.

One only need look through the holes in the aluminum wheel to view the state of the disc for scoring or view across to the other side of the rig to check the inside of the rotors. Easy Peasy; as is any work to be done on them.

I'm also nonplussed to explain how folks are burning off their pads so fast as in 6 years of snowbirding down to the southwest and touring around down there with returning to Canada in the spring of the year along with a couple of cross Canada trips I only changed out the pads once towards the end of our ownership of the rig.

I'm thinking the only explanation for this weird wear pattern described with one pad going away and the rest in varying states of wear is simply due to air in the sytem and also too much bias being placed upon the trailer brakes.

Bleeding these things could not be easier with someone on hand to engage the over-ride when asked to. That 1600psi pump will move a lot of fluid in a hurry so if there is air in the system it ain't gonna be there for long if you keep an eye on reservoir level while pushing out the old stuff.

Changing out the pads is also FAR easier and faster with none of the aggro associated with pre-setting the shoes then checking again after some run in with the only way to do that correctly being with the tire off the ground.

I cannot tell you how happy I was to throw that adjusting spade into the toolbox for the very last time.

I would make it a routine when pulling into rest stops to get out my infra-red gun and shoot the discs firstly right after using the brakes to slw down and stop to see if one was markedly hotter or COOLER than any other and by the time I had done that along with hubs and tires, D/W had returned form her biffy trip and we'd be off again.

My trailer was an 05 and I never had an issue with the pump or any other part of the sytem at all. I replaced the hoses to the caliper after a tire shed a tread and the crossover tubes under the calipers when new because back in those days Doubletree assemblers were rollling the axles around, prior to them being installed on frames, on their discs alone without wheels and tires being installed so those crossover tubes were often crushed from that stupid behaviour.