Thread: What to Buy
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #19
rdunk

Gemstone, you may have mentioned this before, but I would be interested in what you mean by this statement -

"As for weight, there was too much trailer for our 3500 series truck....it pulled just fine, but was not adequate for stopping".

I am curious. Did your to vehicle brakes fail, or .... did your trailer brakes fail? I believe the trailer is supposed to stop itself. Of course, if you have (or had) drum brakes on the trailer, then was that part of the stopping problem??? Drums heat up, and heated brakes tend to fade (not stop). Just another advantage of the discs.

I tow my RE3 with an F350. And with 5er disc brakes, if I hit the brakes hard, sometimes it feels like the trailer is stopping the truck - lol. But, of course, part of that is the discs, and part is that is the way a Brakesmart brake controller works with the trailer (max tow vehicle braking gives max trailer braking) !!!

Whatever works best for each of us I guess. The F350 is the right size tow vehicle for me, rated at 26000 lbs gross combined.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote