Thread: Hitch Clearance
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjogan View Post
Finally picked up the 36RKSB in the freezing rain in AR - headed southeast as fast as I could! Just terrible weather for many.

Turned out I had plenty of clearance to the bed rails. That said, I did find one problem and that is with the "wings" on the MORryde pin box. The flange on the outside plate "wing" caught my cargo cover rail on a very sharp turn. Fortunately it also pulled the breakaway cable so I ended up with very little damage to the cargo cover rail.

I called MORryde to discuss and told me that some have been cutting off the flange. they also did not recommend or suggest this, they were just acknowledging that it is a problem for some. I was not keen on this as the flange does provide some stiffness to the "wing." However, I did cut off the trailing corner of the flange on a 45 degree angle. This should eliminate the flange getting under the rail and still leave plenty of stiffness in the wing.

I plan to stop in at MORryde this summer to review further. It just seems that they should build in a bit more flexibility into these systems. For example, I was going to raise the pin box one hole, but the hole pattern in the wing would have prevented me from using the required three bolts in the front column of bolt holes.
It is not the MOR/ryde pinbox causing the issue, it is the DRV designed Lippert frame.

MOR/ryde does make a shorter version of the pinbox, but then you can't drop your tailgate
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote