Thread: Vent caps
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
bstark

Jerry and Joyce; thanks for the kudos.

I just watched our trailer leave for the last time late last week being towed away by it's new owners. We've got many wonderful memories of our time with it and also some stuff like this one that won't be hard to forget at all.

This vent thing into the attic from the biffy room has been a silly issue since well before 05. Along with the over-torqued and broken off heads of trim screws and the sliding privacy door that fell into the basement the first week, they were perhaps my favourites to continue chuckling over for years hence.

Why they would still fan force inside air directly into the insulation pack with moisture laden air going into that material, to perhaps foment molds and mildew, is beyond me.

In early 06, I think, I fabbed up a director shield using a rectangular plastic bottle with the same base profile as the exit grill of that fan, cut the bottom out of it to fit over that grill and connected the exhaust end directly to the bottom of that short length of pipe using a piece of "defroster hose" and clamp. No more issues with it since that time.

Anything you can do to prevent inside air from coming into direct contact with the insulation is just good preventative maintenance.