Thread: Bedroom slide
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
bstark

I have done that job for someone else and the way Paul did it was the same way I went about it.

You have to be careful to have the slideout in far enough that you are not attempting to lift the rear support roller up and along with it the upper angle iron inside framework.

Lift the inner floorbards out of your under-bed storage and watch how the mechanism interacts between rollers and support framework and you'll see where you need to have the slideout in far enough that it can tip as you lift it. You don't have a lot of clearance but there is enough to lift it up and get a 1/4" drive ratchet onto the top of the screw heads when replacing.

Final tips: wax the underside of that slideout with a very good car wax that will not attract dust or build-up and give it a good wipe down frequently as there is nowhere else on the trailer where that heavy an item is resting and sliding on a cosmetic surface. Your slideout retraction protocol should also include one last push of the "retract/in" putton to make sure that circuit is hydraulicly preloaded as any in/out movement of that slideout while going around corners or over whoop-d-doos puts enormous stress on those teflon block retaining screws trying to keep them upright.

I removed the heavy iron framework under the bed and replaced it with a plywood affair that was hinged in two places to support our comfort-air bed. That modification served two puposes: weight savings and blood savings from catching my fingers on those darn sharp springs every time I made the stupid bed. We also resisted the impulse to store heavy items under there, reserving that area instead for things like the toilet paper and paper towels, etc..

Good luck.