View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Motor31

Not all automotive grade tire stores are set for the larger dimensions of an RV either inside or outside. I have also had to let the store use MY bottle jack to change the tire on my trailer on a warranty situation. They didn't have a jack with enough capacity to lift a 8,000 lb axle. If it is a larger store that has a large lot that you can maneuver your trailer in and out of it may be just fine. Remember you have to be able to get out of the lot too.

If you need the larger commercial grade tires, like I do on both the trailer (17.5") and tow vehicle (22.5") then an automotive tire store isn't a good idea. They don't stock them normally and won't have the equipment to mount or balance them either.

A phone and internet connection can save you a bunch of miles to find what you need. Before you commit to a particular store, take the tow vehicle there and look it over to make sure you can get in and out of it with the rig. Also remember to research the torque values of the lugs on the wheels. My trailer has a max torque of 150 ft lbs (aluminum wheels and Dexter axles) so I have to make sure the tire place turns down the speed wrench or sets torque by hand.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote