Thread: Hitch Clearance
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #28
nytmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Both my prior and current driveway were/are a pain.

Last house I was on a cul-de-sac. 50' wide street and the end was big enough to easily do a U turn. We were at the end so I was able to pull in front, turn right and back straight in to the driveway.
But, the crown, lack of the top coat and and a steep driveway required a combination of boards to clear the rear hitch.
And before I backed I dumped all the air on the truck suspension and the TS-3 hitch to gain max clearance at the hitch.
Multiple 2x10's forming ramps 14' long and as high as 4 boards.

Current house, the street is only 18' wide, the crown is almost a foot on either side, swales on each side, my driveway drops off another foot right away and I have two stone columns to thread between, coming in at a 45 degree angle. My neighbors enjoy the show.

I was not able to get the trailer in the driveway when we closed on the house. I had to remove the tool box from the truck. Then it would only take about 20-25 minutes. I've since moved one stone column and can back in easily but I now put 100 psi in the hitch bags to gain as much clearance as I can for the side rails.

Someday the county is going to finish the road (issues with developer) and when they do the road will be 3' wider and level, which will exacerbate the driveway. The County has assured me my driveway will be corrected when the road is done. They are also going to allow me to have a 24' wide entrance instead of the allowed 12'. Fortunately the chief guy at the County DOT is a camper, he came to the house to see the issues.
Well... I fortunately don't have those problems. Just need to stop digging the bedrails. Would like to get a nicer hard tonneau cover, but the rails those things use would get destroyed in short order.