View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
clev

Just for the benefit of others who may be watching this thread and are curious how to do this replacement, I'll answer my own question.

The replacement kit has a long stainless steel cable; long, fabric, stretchy sleeve, eye bolt with nut, aluminum crimp collar, and rubber grommet; kit number 22305, I think. According to the printed instructions and YouTube videos, cut your cable past the frayed part and insert the end passing through into the trailer into the sleeve; insert the end of the new cable into the other end of the sleeve and butt it up against the old cable. Tape it from left to right and then pull the old cable through the pulley with the intent of pulling through the new cable. That does not work. the bottom pulley that you are working with, and probably all the rest, are mounted in a 'U' clamp with no tolerance at the bottom of the pulley. There is just enough room for the naked cable to pass through. After numerous attempts over a 2 hour period, the old cable pulled loose. No choice but to insert the new cable through the pulley and work with it on the inside. Piece of cake; there are only 2 pulleys, one at the bottom to divert the cable upwards, and the one at the top to direct the cable over to the motor. Very simple job, complicated by poor, misleading instructions. I had no crimper for the aluminum collar, so I used 2 'U' bolt clamps. I called Norco Tech Support and they told me the clamps were ok. This is not a difficult job, just simply insert the new cable under the pulley and pull it through; do not follow the instructions. This is about one hour job.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote