View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Bill Kitchen

New Canadian to 5th wheel camping

We are new to 5th wheel camping having completed the 10 year evolution from 6 tents to a 2013 KZ Escape Hybrid 18' and now entering our second year in the 2015 Salem Hemisphere 327 RES. (We needed more room for her shoes).

We have completed our first year with 81 nights camping, from 32 degrees C in the summer to -41 degrees C in winter. This weekend we will burn 30 lbs of propane per day in -31 degree camping. (I guess it is a Canadian thing)

We have a powerful furnace, electric heater, mattress heater, and Grand Marnier to keep us warm. This time of year we are winterized but use a 5 gallon water bottle and a porta potty located in the shower stall. We are on shore power for hydro and rotate out 3 x 30 propane tanks and 2 x 20 lb if we run short. With marble counter tops working like an ice cube, it takes a while to get the place up to temperature. We keep the slides in to minimize the cube needed to heat as well as protecting the slide seals.

We are in our late 60s otherwise we would be roughing it more. Retirement is on the horizon, with possibly Arizona, Texas or Florida as possible snow bird sanctuaries once the Canadian dollar recovers to an acceptable level (40% exchange is just crazy)

We have a fixed site just north of Hamilton in Freelton but plan to get a 3/4 Diesel TV once I can make up my mind on brand and begin to travel more, possibly Atlantic Canada, or New York Finger Lakes District.

We are open to all suggestions, chat, advice (other than not camping in winter) and ways to maintain our retreat.

Bill & Sam (girlfriend)
Bill Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote