View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Motor31

Check the push / pull battery isolator switch in the leveling jack switch compartment. The converter is supposed to charge the batteries for the trailer as long as you are plugged in. If the outside isolator switch is pushed in the batteries are cut out of the circuit and you are running on the converter only and the batteries are not being charged up.

If the switch is pulled out already get a volt meter and check the voltage going to the battery terminals with the switch in and out. If there is no change in voltage then the converter charger unit has fried. It happened to me after owning the rig a year or so. In my case it didn't put out any 12 volt current and we ended up draining the battery. The charger should be putting out 13.5 to 13.8 volts.

I'd bet a beer that your switch is pushed in and the battery is just being left uncharged. The hydraulics get a direct line to the battery so the isolator switch doesn't cut them off.

The other possibility is that at least one of your batteries is fried (or out of water) and has a dead cell so it won't accept a charge. In that case just get new ones. In the case of 2 batteries always change both instead of just the bad one.

In the mean time yep you can charge them separately. Red cable to positive terminal and black one to negative terminal. We did that with a small 10 amp charger for a couple days while waiting for the new converter to arrive.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote