View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #11
mbatte

With my dish, I struggled to get it aimed right...back and forth, back and forth, looking at signal strength on the TV. The BOSS got tired of my frustration, and got me a meter....what a deal! Just SORTA aim the dish, and fine tune with the meter. It is even fun to do.

Tell you a funny...I was doing my aiming before I got the meter, using a cheapo Chinese-made compass. According to it, I was on target. But I WASN'T. I got so mad I put the sat dish back in the basement. I went into town the next day, and asked the Radio Shack guy if they had reception problems, (West TX). "Nope, we use transponder 11."

Well, I set up, again, got on transponder 11, and got the message: "Wrong Satellite", again.....just like before. The only possible thing I could think of, was that I was off in azimuth. AH, HA...I got a GPS receiver! Took it out and got a bearing. The Chinese compass was off a mere 18 degrees! Aimed. using the GPS, and trotted inside to watch TV.

If we ever have a war with them, I hope the Chinese aim their missles using their compasses. Seems to me, a compass is about as high tech as a hammer....