View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #31
wingnut60
Site Team

window replacement

I did the rear window, the couch-side windows, the dinette slide windows, the desk window and the escape window. It is a relatively simple, but not necessarily easy, task. I am assuming you will be replacing the PANE only, not the window frame.

Just start with a smaller one first to get used to the process---get a small hook tool to get under the black rubber gasket at one of the lower square corners, and start pulling it out all the way around to the other end. Then pull out the gasket across the bottom. (This is for the upper, non-opening part--the crankout parts are replaced with the metal frames on them already). With the gaskets out of the grooves, be standing on a ladder/stool that allows you to be even with the window. Have a friend or DW inside and push outward on the top of the window carefully--the pane of glass will come out easily and you just have to catch it before it falls.
This was the easy part. You then have to clean off all the old sealant (glazing) material--but it kind of rolls up in balls if you start pushing it with a finger--sometimes you need a flat blade, but be careful, the aluminum frame is very soft and easy to gouge. Once the sealant area is clean, you are ready to apply the rope glaze around the window where you took off the old sealant. This is an odd material to get used to handling--it is in a roll with a paper between the rows. Start anywhere along the frame where the old sealant was and carefully unroll the rope--this is sometimes almost a 3-handed operation for a newbie--and be sure to work in the shade to keep the rope from getting sticky. Just be sure and get some of the rope along all the frame area. When you think you have a good seal all around the frame, you are ready to consider putting in the new pane.
Look closely at the bottom groove--there are spacers in the groove that are there to position the pane vertically--you need all new spacers and just put new ones in next to the old ones. Not enough spacers and the window will settle into the groove, leaving a gap at the top--even with new spacers, the big window in the rear ended up with a 1/2" gap that I had to fill with silicone to prevent leaks. Some of the windows also have side-to-side spacers.

The first window is the hardest, in that you are getting used to new things--if you were in the window business, you could do all the windows in about 2 hours. The rear window is the heaviest and needs two sets of hands outside to position it.

I did 7 windows over 2 days with very little help, but I am going to the factory next week to have them all repositioned to correct the tendency of the panes to settle to the bottom leaving a gap.

To do the crank-out portion is a little different, in that you are only working with mechanical items, not gaskets/sealants, since the crank-out windows already have the frames on them. Crank the window out, remove the 'c' clip on the hinge/arm, pry off the arm and lift the section out of the channel across the top. Reverse the process and you are done.
Getting the channels to match can be a hassle, but not too hard.

Whatever you do, DO NOT bang/hammer/pry on the aluminum frames of the crankouts as they bend easily. 2 of the ones I replaced are not closing correctly and have to be pushed in from the outside. Another item for DRV to fix.

The hardest part of all is getting the measurements correct--Tom Peck walked me thru that and caught a couple mistakes I made. If you get the windows sent to you, be sure and get an ample supply of spacers--twice what they say you need--and use them with enthusiam for numbers, or the new panes will settle.

Good luck.

I have some pictures that I had problems posting-----I could try to email them direct if anyone is interested. Send me you email address and I will try to get them sent back to you.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote