Thread: #4
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Motor31

Well Jack, After having a drv for more than 6 years now I can say a thicker wall with sagging fiberglass is no advantage. Using foam core construction means the insulation stays in place which is a good thing. As to the I beam construction, you can have the thin wall tube that drv has. I see no advantage there compared to either one. As long as they carry the load without failing that's all that matters. My tow vehicle has a frame rated to handle far more load than either one and it is not a closed tube style construction either so I have no idea what your bias is about.

Floor plans are rather a common item between the manufacturers. There is only so much you can do with 400 sq ft based on a long rectangle design. They fall into 3 basic formats, rear kitchen, mid kitchen and front living room. How you arrange the bits is also rather limited. They all have eating facilities, tv and lounge and a bedroom. Then there is the fully enclosed bathroom or split bathroom. After a while of looking at different manufacturers it's pretty easy to see the basic similarities between all of them.

In either case I said I was starting to look at them. If you have any real experience with them I'm certainly interested. If all you have is random comments based on speculation, that's not very interesting.

I'm also looking at Excel but finding a dealer is a rather difficult proposition as the factory is not willing to disclose their list. That means having to go by zip codes using the web site to find dealers that may be on the route we are planning on taking this next year. We did have an Excel before and I would have bought another one if they had made one larger than 36' with at least an 80 gallon fresh water tank at the time. I was very happy with their construction and durability after using it for over a year of full timing. Unfortunately it was a 33' rig and we learned that we needed more room.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote