View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #62
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I was reading on the forum and can relate to this blog. Our Goodyear 17.5 G114's came on our 2016 DRV. With about 15K miles, we were coming home in September from 3 week vacation. Coming across west Texas, I had a blow out. DRV is parked inside except when traveling so not exposed to outside most of the time. Got the spare mounted and back on the road. We were staying in Boerne for the night (about 20 miles west of San Antonio). It being somewhat cool, decided to try to make it home to Katy and not replace. I figured it was time to buy a new set of tires. Got up next morning and going through San Antonio bang another blowout. This was the tire next to spare already mounted. Got off I-10 and pulled into a parking lot. Worse case, pull off blowout and head toward Discount Tire. Gave them a call and they said they could get the tires but could not mount. Not for sure why but this was not going to work. Next call was to Goodyear. They forwarded me to their commercial department. After talking to them, they would come out for a road side service call to replace blowout. I told them now I have zero confidence I will make it home on the other two tires. So told them I wanted all 4 replaced. They said no problem and I was thinking cost would be around $1500. They had the tires in stock and would be there in about 30 minutes. Sure enough took about 40 minutes and guy showed up. It took him about an hour and half to break down all 4 tires and replace with new ones. Also mounted the spare back in place. I was surprised when I got the bill, $1277.33. I hope these last longer than the original set but had read issues with that 2015 tires. Guy was super nice and even gave him a tip for doing a fast great job. So if you are in a pinch, Goodyear's road side commercial service is very reasonable.
You have a lot of information here that reinforces a number of published warnings about trailer tires.

It doesn’t seem to make much difference in what tire design is used on RV trailer axles; 5 years is the best life expectancy for any of them.

A blow out at highway speed is almost always going to damage the tire next to it. It’s highly recommended to have that tire dismounted and inspected internally for damages.

The G114 is a polyester 75 MPH tire. If it’s an original equipment tire, the cold inflation pressure should always be kept at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended pressures. When lowering the inflation pressure you may be lowering the speed restriction.