View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
RAMer-Jammer

I have a 2020 Ram 3500 CC 4X4 HO diesel SRW w/Aisan trans, with a 3750# payload rating ( and crazy high towing capacity), and would consider that trailer to be just beyond the comfortable limits of my truck. It’s GVW would put the pin weight at better than 2700#, and thus the payload of the truck in the 90 percentile range on my truck, leaving me only 350-450# under max GVW on the truck/TV in real-life “loaded for camping” trim.

Even with my “1-ton” pickup, I have determined that 13,000# is my threshold for safe, comfortable 5th wheel GVW.

Do people tow longer, heavier rigs with similar trucks? Sure they do, but they aren’t looking at all of the specs around payload, GVW and trying to stay within a percentage of limits. Sometimes I envy the guys who can tow way over their rated payload, and not be stressed by it, but I’d rather roll down the highway with comfort, confidence and low blood pressure, knowing that I am not exceeding any metrics or safety margins.

With a 2500 and 2150# payload, I’d be looking at 5th wheels in the 10,000# GVW range (or less).
RAMer-Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote