Thread: Overnighters
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #23
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTech View Post
Great posts @CalinSC! Love all your descriptions of the parks along with the pics! We are in the early years of our retirement & RV'ing. Though we've had 45 years of camping (all of them in a tent in some really interesting places around the U.S.A.) we are ready to expand our horizons to see all of America. Do you normally have a set destination, or are you "winging "it? Do you pick a stop early in the morning before leaving or decide after being on the road for a few hours to pick where your next overnight will be? Thanks again for such an entertaining post!
Because of chronic medical conditions we no longer travel full time.

We were 100% committed to a full time traveling life style when we retired. We sold our home with a pool at a golf course community in FL, and nearly everything in it. Both of our children and grand children all lived in FL so it was easy to keep it as our state of residence.

We had no set agendas other than staying warm. It took us nearly 5 years to visit 48 states and 5 CDN provinces. Our choice of RV was a mid level 38' 5th wheel - to keep the weight down - and a Dodge dually diesel tow vehicle. We traveled north in the spring and summer months and south in the fall and winter months. Snow never hit our rig. We had a very comfortable budget and never boondocked, dry camped or stayed in some parking lot.

We just winged it and seldom used or made reservations unless we were going to stop long enough for mail forwarding. Of course we always mad reservations for north/south seasonal changes, normally about 2 months and sometimes near the kids in FL. I'm from Maine and Linda is from SC so we had family connections in those areas.

We had a large place in FL for storage. When our rig weight got close to max we would send the excess to one of our kids and they would put it in our storage facility. We both had hobbies that would cause an accumulation of weight. We purchased things from yard sales and sold them on internet auctions. My interests were military things, Zippo lighters and old fishing equipment. All sold well on the net. Linda's likes were glass, pottery, 1st edition books and jewelry (mostly heavy stuff).

We both like golf and fishing, train and boat rides. We hardly ever stayed in state of federal parks but visited most all in our path.

Both of us have a hard time at altitudes above 5000' and avoided staying at them more than a day or two at a time.

Being retired military allowed us to stay at military RV Parks/CGs. Sometimes they were destination stops. In fact, because of bad weather in southern CA one year, we stayed at the Naval Air Facility RV Park at El Centro, CA for two months.

We are not photo smart but we surely know how to point and click because we have thousands of pictures.

Some of the most interesting places to spend a night or two were found by reading billboards and signs. Like a free FHU all paved city park at Concordia, KS or in a farmers yard with 12 W/E sites including a 3 course evening meal with the owners and other patrons at Kellogg, IA.

I wrote blogs and kept journals which help me go back and make some of these posts before I get too old to do it. Linda and I were married 62 years on Oct 4th this year. Traveling will keep you active and we highly recommend going out and seeing our country. We live in a smallish seniors retirement community the SC foothills and until this awful pandemic came along we went to FL at least three times a year.