View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Motor31

I am assuming the frames on newer models are the same design as the one on my rig, a thin walled hollow core tube.

This is what I have done and it has worked for at least 4 years now. I went to a trailer fabricator. He makes utility trailers and PU beds from scratch. He designed and built a complete underframe brace system for a tow hitch. In this case the stresses for the frame and hitch are in line with the frame and not perpendicular to it like it would be for a hitch mount to hold up a load with a vertical load on the frame.

So far so good. No issues with the frame bracing. It is fairly extensive and goes from the very rear of the frame almost to the point where the rear most axle mounting location.

Something to consider is this. Anything you hang on the rear of the unit WILL change the balance and weight distribution of the entire trailer. Using the end of the trailer for a vertical load places that load on the extreme end of the lever of the frame. This will change the pin weight and how the suspension carries the load. It also deducts that same amount of weight from the total carrying capacity of the trailer. If you have a CCC of 1800 lbs for the rig and hang 1000 lbs of weight on the end you have only 800 lbs capacity for the rest of your "stuff". It will also increase the flexing of the frame as you go down the road. That means additional stresses on the rest of the body of the trailer to include seams and walls. Think of it like a teeter totter.

In my case since this is a tow hitch the weight penalty was only the weight of the frame and hitch materials, not the load I am towing since that load is carried by the towed vehicle.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote