View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
RodeWorthy

I am going through the generator decison too. A couple of things to note.

The Honda 2000 has a rating of 1600W continuous -two of them would have 3200W. The 3000 has a continuous rating of 2800W so you gain 400W of continuous power over the 3000 with the 2000 pair -not 1000W. The peak ratings should not be used to determine the generator to use for your continuous power requirements.

The 2000 is quiet but not any quieter than the 3000 and two of them will be twice as noisy.

It is almost necessary to add an outboard fuel tank for the 2000's.

Electric start with remote or demand start is not an option with the 2000's.

The 2000 generator has an 8A DC charger but it is not designed to charge deep-cycle batteries (necessary for boondocking). The method to charge d.c. batteries is to use the 2000 to provide AC power to the inverter/converter which will charge the batteries.

I have become very interested in the new Honda 6500 but it is heavy at over 250 lb. It also has no DC out but does have a 240VAC outlet. It is also quiet at <60 db at rated ooutput. Electric start too. This would run the whole house including both A/C. Has a fuel tank that should last the day without outboard tanks.

I would have to mount this generator at the rear of the coach somehow but I am not very keen on that apporach.

I have no need for portablility of the generator. If you do, then the 2000's make the most sense.

Just something to think about when deciding.

Rodeworthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote