Thread: drawer slides
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
bstark

Joe; regarding the plastic 'grabber' drawer/cabinet latch: there are two fixed hook sizes one being broader than the other that will allow you to position the hook portion on the underside of the drawer using screw holes at a wider stance and the body of the hook portion is slightly stronger. The downside is the drawer front in some cases will have a slight gap from the cabient facing due to that 'extra' plastic. When replacing make absolutely certain the two items align exactly as any distortion caused to either part when drawers/doors are closed weakens them quickly. When opening drawers you have to get into a habit of pulling the drawer straight out as any sideways or up/down pulling ALSO will weaken them.

Your drawer under the fridge is probably being used for heavier items as it's depth lends itself to pot storage etc., so an audit of the mounting method for that drawer will probably show it needs better side supports to prevent the mass of the rear of the drawer when loaded from moving fore and aft under stop and go events, which in turn ruins the glides and latches. I found mounting two of the old fashioned screen door type of latches (steel probe/spring loaded rubber rolllers) to the sides of the drawer about halfway up worked to solve issues with opening while underway. I also bolstered the rear mounting system of most of my drawers in the trailer with firmer set-up as almost all of them allowed the entire rear mounting framework to 'float' around while travelling.

Great projects to keep you busy while parked somewhere for an extended stay. You don't need to golf EVERY day! Haaar!