View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
rjttam

Re: Diesel engine cool-down

Hauled a 33' Okanagan GVW 15K with a RAM2500, chipped W/HD Torque converter etc. I had BD X monitor guages on the post and used them extensively. However, my exhaust temp never reached over 1000 degrees in heavy mountain pulling. On the hottest of hot days my tranny never got above 210-215 and usually ran @ 185 on level ground while towing. I had the automatic engine shut down installed that would shut the engine down at 325 exhaust degrees, that usually took about two or three minutes to go from 700-800 degrees down to 325. I always had to make sure the exhaust brake was turned off, otherwise it will take three times as long to cool down. The most important thing about keeping your exhaust temp down is: Don't try to be the first one to the top of that big hill, or to put it another way, DON'T put the peddle to the metal. rjttam P.S. My 96 Ford, F250, outfitted the same as the 03 Dodge would run up over 1300 degree in a heart beat. Also, important to note that when not towing or working hard, a 30 second cool down should be sufficient, or if you forget too do it occasionally, it's not a big deal.
need be.
rjttam is offline   Reply With Quote