View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #11
terry and jo

From what I can tell from your pictures, I kind of agree that you shouldn't have any issue with dragging of the rear of the trailer as you back up. That said, it depends on the "transition" area from the street to the driveway. That part of the driveway isn't too plain to me in the pictures. Just have a "spotter" standing towards the back of the trailer the first time you attempt the driveway.

I strongly recommend a slider hitch if you are going to stay with the short bed pickup. I've seen the corner of a fifth wheel take out the rear window of a pickup before when the guy didn't have a slider.

Now for the hard part. With regards to weights, go to your truck dealer and have them get you the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for your specific truck. A lot of the information needed to get those numbers are on your "data plate" at the driver's side door. GCWR is the combined weight of your truck and trailer at their heaviest. GAWR is the top limit of weight for the rear axle. Don't exceed either of those ratings. For your GCWR, take your truck to someplace to get it weighed with full fuel, passengers expected, and any other cargo that you plan to carry in the pickup. That will give you the actual maximum weight of your truck for calculating for GCWR. Then add the manufacturer's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the trailer to the weight you got of the pickup and you have your gross combined weight.

My concern for the weight is because you have the single rear wheel axle.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote