Hermes

Re: Bedrail clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeWorthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeWorthy
That is a good question. The bedrail clearance on my '08 Chevy is tight even after I had the trailer "tubed"* to raise it two inches. The trucks seem to get higher every year.

I had planned to put a higher riser in for the Trailersaver hitch but decided to stay with the one I had and be careful. If I get in a tight spot I can add air to the hitch to raise the head about 3 inches. Have had to do that about 3 times in 3 years.

*tubed - Mor/Ryde term for welding a square steel tube between frame and axles prior to installing IS axles. They have several sizes depending on need to level the whole rig.
Alright..the bedrail clearance is enough by raising it to two inches. Aside from the previous mentioned hitches. Can you recommend other cheap hitch but high quality?
Hi Hermes,
No the bedrail issue was not solved by raising the trailer 2 inches. That change allowed the trailer to tow level but did not affect the hitch height. If I did not have the ability to raise the hitch by adding air to the air bag then I would not consider the <6" clearance adequate. Towing on the highway is not a problem but some campground situations can cause problems when making tight turns on a hill. That is where I can get away with adding air to raise the hitch. We do not travel with extra air -- that would defeat the purpose of the air ride.

Sorry I don't have any information on other hitches. The Trailersaver is the only one I have used.
Thanks for the info..and clarification.. :D
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote