View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
SuiteCook

Hi Terry and Jo
Congratulations on your decision to buy a Mobile Suite. We are full timers and have been living comfortably for almost 3 years in our MS TK36. The first six months I was NOT a happy camper because my oven would not heat up enough to cook anything properly. When we ordered the Suite I had decided to forgo a gas oven as I preferred to have more drawer space, so I did not have an alternative to use.
After replacing the original Dometic oven with another one (same type) and experiencing the same problem of not enough heat, I found out that the Advantium was slightly more expensive and much superior, so we got one.
I am a Registered Dietitian and I love to cook, especially now that I have more time to spend in the kitchen. It was therefore a big relief to find an oven that actually worked the way it was supposed to!
T o answer your questions. Yes it is good to reduce both the cooking time and the temperature when cooking with convection. This saves both time and energy so it is a “good thing”. Even better is the “Speedcook” feature on the Advantium. It uses a combination of Microwave and convection heat to cook even faster while still producing food that is browned. The recipe book that comes with the oven is excellent. I have made many of the recipes and all have turned out great.
Re cook wear. When using the microwave you can use anything that you would normally put in the microwave. For convection cooking any type of oven wear is fine. The only thing you have to be aware of for both is that even though the oven is rectangular the turn table is 12 inches around so your pans cannot be more than 12 inches wide or long. You cannot use a 9 x 13 lasagne pan as it will not go round and with the Advantium you cannot disable the turntable. I spoke to one person who made a rack to place above the turntable, but it did not work as the food cooked unevenly.
When you use the “Speedcook” feature the appropriate cookwear is a little trickier as it must work in both microwave and oven. Corning Wear and Pyrex are both ideal. When baking cookies, bread or biscuits you place them directly on the metal tray that comes with the oven. I put parchment paper on the pan to reduce sticking and cleanup time. You can use a metal 6 cup muffin pan with Speedcook.
I attended a cooking demonstration at the Good Sams Rally in Albuquerque last spring. The demonstrator was using flexible rubber cook wear. It is very light, flexible and worked well in the oven but I find it rather pricey so I have not purchased any.
As the last poster noted there is an excellent cookbook that comes with the oven. As well there is a DVD that explains how to use the oven.
Hope this is helpful!
Suite Cook
SuiteCook is offline   Reply With Quote