View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
half dimes

You've already gotten some good answers but I'll add my 2¢ anyway. Our last two rigs have had an on board generator. We had to add the gen on our previous rig which wasn't prewired or had the box already installed. Our selling dealer did a reasonably good job and it proved its worth for the six years we owned the rig. However, fit and finish always looked a bit homemade. It also was a and Generac wasn't as quiet as the Onan on our current rig.
Our current rig, a HitchHiker had the generator installed at the factory and is fueled by two 40lb propane cylinders. This setup has served us well for the past 10 years. We don't use it for days at a time but like it if we stop for lunch or at no facility campgrounds. Never have run it overnight. If we're camping someplace hot, it will be at a full service campground. Strictly speaking, I'm sure we're not getting our 'money's worth' out of the extra capital expense, but on the other hand, we love the convenience. A propane generator will use a goodly about of that fuel, so the 40lb cylinders make refills further apart.
If we were to ever get another fiver, a factory installed built-in generator would definitely be on our list.
Happy decision making!
half dimes is offline   Reply With Quote