View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Kato

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
IMHO, I wouldn't tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck, although some do. The semi-floating rear axle on a 1/2 ton truck is not designed for the increased weight. 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks use a full floating rear axle. If you don't know the difference, google it or search it on Youtube.
IMHO, the increased payload of the newer 1/2 ton trucks is really pushing their limits to the limit.
Also bear in mind your payload weight includes anything in the truck including you and your passenger. Don't forget to count the weight of the hitch itself and any cargo. Ad this to the loaded pin weight of the trailer and you will for sure be over your limits.
BTW, 3/4 ton trucks have an 11.5" ring gear in a much beefier differential housing made to hold a lot more weight. Good luck

Yeah, Deep down I know you are right. I needed a truck now but won't be able to do any serious towing for a few years so I just couldn't justify the extra cost of a 3/4 ton truck. I knew that would likely mean no 5th wheel but I still prefer them over a TT. I can't believe the size of the fivers I see on the road being towed by 1/2 ton trucks! Perhaps if finances allow I will get a 3/4 ton diesel in 5 years and then I can have my 5th wheel. Thanks for your input.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote