View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
wingnut60
Site Team

replacing the windows

Finally got the large rear window done--thanks so much to Keith Andrew
(keithandpenne) for advice AND bringing me some shims that he had left over.
I am not quite done yet--the rear window still has a gap between the gasket and the glass area in spite of putting in 4 of the new lower shims. This gap may well have been there already, as I did not look closely before pulling out the gasket. Of all the larger windows, this one was barely in place--pushing outward took no effort to get it loose.

The crank-out portion of this window is also causing me a problem--it will not close without being pushed in from the outside. I have ground off some aluminum where I thought it might be binding, but still it will not close without an exterior push inward. Several of these crank-out units have been known to 'pop' close at some time after closing them with all the effort I could put into turning the knob--but this one will not close without a push. And it has a space at the lower left curve area even after being pushed close. It appears not to be "flat and square" and I am afraid to twist it as the frame is very soft and fragile. If I continue to have this problem after moving the trailer and bouncing it some, then I might just trade the glass pane into the old frame that fit somewhat better.

KEITH ASKED ME TO POST A NOTE THAT HE HAS A SOFA SIDE WINDOW AVAILABLE IS ANYONE NEEDS IT--it was sent extra when he did his replacements.

So far, I am very happy with the new visibility with the new units, just need to finish up some details. May have to wait til I see if there are any leaks driving thru rain, or any dust trails before I decide to remove and reseal/reshim some of the upper panes.

I have a lot of pics of some parts of the replacements--but all are in large MPixels--I could more easily email some of them if anyone is interested:

joejd at aol.com

I appreciate so much the help and advice I have gotten from members on this forum--it has helped me to save money and time. We really love our trailer and are focusing on keeping it usable for many more years.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote