View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
keithandpenne

Joe,

Over the last couple of years, I have now replaced all of our windows except for the ones with the sliding vents. So far, no problems with any of the 4.

A few things I have found is that if you can work early in the morning before the sun gets on the window area that your working on, the new black glazing seal will not "go stringy" and is a lot easier to work with. Once the sun hits it, it's a mess.

Another is using a sharp edge putty knife will make removal of the old glazing a lot quicker. Some of ours had silicone and others had the black sealant. I also use the end of the handle to "roll" the new seal back in.

When removing the glass, watch out for the white shims along the side and top. These locate the glass in the frame and can fall out if not careful. Count them before removal of the glass so that you can make sure they are all there when you put the new glass in. On the first one I did, one had gotten under the glass and would not let the glass seat in the bedding. I had to remove the glass, re-clean the frame and do it again. Hehr had sent extras along with new bottom shims as some of ours had compressed so that I had the gap at the top like you mentioned. The new black tube shims took care of that and I would highly recommend using new bottom ones every time.

When putting in the rubber seal gasket, I have always used new. Take care to not stretch it as you install as it will shrink over time and pull away from the ends or out of the radius corners. I always start at one end, work it up, around the corner, across the top and back down. I try and cut it a half inch long and work the extra in so that it does not pull away on the ends and so far, none have pulled. Some of the Hehr assembled windows had shrunk nearly an inch.

Also, when ordering the windows, ask and Hehr will send the vent windows with the frame installed which makes the swap a snap. Just open the window, pull the circle clips and pins, swing the window up just past 90 degrees and the entire vent will un-hook andslip off. No need to remove any screw. Installing the new is a little difficult to "re-hook" but once you get the hang, it goes easy.

Good luck with the rest Joe and for anyone else that is looking at fogged windows it is not difficult to do but you will need the aid of a friend to help push out the old glass and on the big windows lift in the new.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote