Thread: Twin Furnance
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I spent the winter a couple years ago in our Mobile Suite in NW Pa. because of an illness in the family.

If the temp. outside gets below about 20-25*F the furnace blower will not shut off. The burner turns off once and a while though.
And about 50% of the heat from the RV propane furnace goes outside in the form of exhaust. These RV furnaces are not efficient! And very expensive to operate in the sub freezing temps.

And if you do not have a large propane tank sitting on the ground outside your suite it is a pain in the butt and expensive to fill and carry the 40# tanks every week. Propane is $3 per gallon in Pa. I can easily burn $250 a month in the winter just to heat my Suite.

The winter I spent in NW Pa. I had an electric heater next to my water preasure tank in my well shed, 50 feet of electric heat tape on the water hose with insulation around it, a heater in the basement and two heaters inside the Suite, elec. hot water tank, elec. clothes dryer, convection microwave, and a crock pot many days...All electric and my highest electric bill was about $230...@ about $.06 a kilowatt hour.

I used our heat pump until the temps. were below about 35*F. to heat our suite that year. And small electric heaters when it was colder. And IT GOT COLD!!!
I used one heater in the living area and one in the bedroom. The bedroom is much much easier to heat because of the fewer windows compared to the main living area. And I used a small electric heater in the basement utility area to keep the pipes from freezing.

In my opinion and experience, it is more efficient and less expensive to heat with the heat pump and portable electric heaters.

I would not spend the money on a bedroom furnace. Esp. if it will not run independently.....
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote