View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I no longer have the scales I used to have when I weighed RV's and trucks, but normally a full size pickup truck had about 3,000lbs rolling on the rear tires without anything in the bed, other than the hitch. Your showing a 6,100lb max rear axle leaving around 3,000 lbs max to be placed into the bed or hitch. Using the normal 20% of the gross weight a 5th wheel trailer will weigh, that will put you at maxish 15,000lb trailer. But those guesstimates of 20% will become the pin are not always accurate, I've seen them well over 30% many run 25% so without actually driving over scales to see exactly what your truck weighs front axle and rear axle your guessing just like I'm doing now. Many trucks are towing overloaded, and continue to roll down the road without major issues, but if your wanting to stay within the limits set by either the tire manufacturer, or the truck mfg, you need to know the real numbers. Scales will show you what your dealing with and then you get to decide how you and your family will proceed. Just my .02 cents worth.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote