Thread: Furniture
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
Can understand your point of view with your experience re-building furniture. But maybe you might offer up a suggested alternative? We all would be interested.
I've been out of the business for a few years, but having taken apart many frames from many furniture companies, I do know junk when I see it. You had good luck with your furniture, that's great. Most people only look at the covering and never turn it upside down and see what's under and hidden from view. The company I worked for was forced to make furniture as cheep as they could to keep up with the others. Not because we wanted to, but because the buyers wanted the lowest cost or they would go somewhere else. So, everything out of view was cheapened. The Lazy Boy I have I replaced the foam on the seat because it broke down and flattened to nothing. Doing so I could see clearly how bad it was. As I said, OSB and glue was all that held it together. The fabric you see looks good, but it really cost Lazy Boy about $5 a yard. You pay $50 a yard. As far as a better chair. There are many out there. You'll pay more, of corse, but that's the way things are today. Turn the chair over. Look for oak or alder frames that are doweled together, not stapled and glued.
Many years ago, about 1995, I went to the Lazy Boy Furniture Co in High Point. I believe that in that one plant they turned out 5000 chairs a day. We tried to make quality furniture, but couldn't keep up with the crap they were turning out. The only thing I can say is, most people don't keep furniture like they used to. A few years and they toss them in the dump. Years ago we keep them forever and passed them down to our kids. There are no antiques made today.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote