View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Motor31

Another thing to consider is that the drum brakes require adjustment to make sure they are actually braking and not just humming. These brakes do not automatically adjust themselves to make sure the pads make good contact with the drum. You have to do it the old school way by jacking up the wheel and using a brake adjustment spoon to put the pads in proper relation to the drum. I learned that the hard way. I was noticing the rig had longer than normal stopping distances. When I checked the brakes only 2 were actually slowing the rig and not very much. After adjusting all 4 of them the performance was much improved. This should be an annual check before you travel. It's tedious but not technically difficult.

I use a jack under one wheel at a time. With the trailer break away switch activated I try to spin the tire. If it does spin I shut off the switch and adjust the brakes until I hear the pads just barely brush the drums then try the switch again. Do this for all wheels on the trailer. Those of us grey hairs who used to do our own wrenching on our cars are familiar with the process.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote