View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
billr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 DA WDS
Bruce, I thought I'd be hearing from you or Bill!

Mike, not trying to call names. Perhaps I should have said 'people that are concerned with towing capacity'?
Now Tom, easy does it! ha....

You will note I never said everyone should run out and get a big truck (F450, MDT etc..) Just what "I" did and my experience pulling with a pickup. I agree that capacities are all over the place, but are we so much smarter than the design engineers and the folks that make these trucks to say, well I can tow a heavier unit because it works and I haven't had any issues nor has anyone I know?

I'll eat my hat if there is anyone that tows with a pickup and can Honestly admit they have Never ran into a situation that made them "pucker up" and think, man I have no idea how we got through that. Maybe this truck should be a bit bigger. I know for sure I have, many times.

Can you pull with a PU, absolutely! Would I if I didn't have the opportunity to have the Volvo with all the benefits, I would (it would be an F450 though, just my choice with its larger brakes and axle)

About the braking concerns, I believe trucks as designed to stop their loads with the assist of the trailer brakes, which is why the are required by law on trailers over a spec wt. The main difference between a hwy tractor towing a commercial trailer, is they run air brakes that when a disconnect of lines or failure in the system causes spring brakes to engage to stop the rig with the truck. In the RV would we have no back up on the trailers at all. If any of a number of things go wrong and its very easy for them too like cord pulling out, elec/hyd actuator failing, damaged hyd lines on disc brakes, wiring issues on any elec brake syst, you only end up with the truck. I have had that happen with a pickup and no way could I stop the rig, I cruised right through an intersection. Lucky the guy in front saw me coming and pulled out of the way. Another time smoked all brakes truck and trailer on a grade with a stop at the bottom, was not going too fast (I thought) just not enough brakes. Even still there was no way to go slower since the gearing was maxed out and brakes were applied sparingly to save them from fading out. Even with the exhaust brake on the Duramax it was hair raising. Just on a few occasions, but only takes once.

The benifit of the HDT being able to whoa down the whole rig is a bonus since its not pulling the 80,000lbs its rated for. And with the possibility of a trailer brake issue, its covers my rear.

Now, I did not get the Volvo because the braking was a huge benefit. It was mostly due to the $$ savings over a new PU. I just get the benefits of the truck as a bonus.

OK, my disclaimer..... I no way insist anyone should change their trucks. I only state the facts as I know them. I mean no offense to anyone or their trucks!

The original poster just wanted to share his New trailer with us and we have strayed a bit on that. I think everyone has his and the rest of the groups best interest in mind when they state their thoughts.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote