View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #19
Gemstone

I agree, my comment about sales folks was a bit general....I apologize if I have offended any present or past salesmen/women. Maybe I should have qualified it a bit by wondering aloud what the dealer did not tell the prospective buyer. Like perhaps that his Dad only travels to a local lake once a month, and the terrain is mostly flat, thus he felt a 3/4 ton sufficient, given a known set of circumstances. We all know that we can get in trouble by believing what dealers and sales folks claim as real world conditions....that is what my previous comment was meant to convey.

My comment about pull (read stop) is exactly that. From what I've read, truck weight ratings are based largely on what weight a truck can safely stop in a required distance....therefore it has relatively little to do with what is is capable of pulling. We know our 1 ton diesels are capable of pulling huge amounts of weight, but personally, I like the fact that my big truck will stop my loaded weight without relying on the trailer brakes. And the icing on the cake is that the KW cost a fraction of what the Dodge did.
While I don't claim a big truck is the correct solution for everyone, I do speak from experience regarding stopping...I will only use the Dodge as a puller in emergency situations or off road conditions.

Regards
Gemstone