View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
billr

Congrats on your new MS! I have yet to see one of the new 40' units, I'll bet its really nice! You are going to love it for sure.

I hate to jump into the middle of this, but here goes....

Sorry you met with the " truck is too small" issue right off the bat. That can be a rather disheartening to take in all at once. I too bought the a MS while having a Chevy duramax and thought I'd be ok. And I was for over 2yrs. If you call OK being over every capacity on the truck including the tires (SRW). I added all the bells and whistles to make it as capable as I could, also having an exhaust brake on the truck and Elec/Hyd Discs on the trailer helps the braking issues. I never ran into any problems towing, but did have some hair raising times on down grades with sharp curves and stops at the bottom. Also red lights and cars slamming on the brakes. No matter how hard I tried to allow plenty of space, and keep my down hill speed low, sometimes it just was too close for comfort.

I decided to get a larger truck and it made more sense to me $$ wise and a lot of other reasons to go with a HDT. I have absolutely no concerns now on braking, wts or power. The trailer cord can come disconnected and I may not even notice any difference in braking. Not so in any pickup. It is not for everyone and each person has to decide for themselves on what suits them best and how they feel towing with any particular truck.

You will see how that works for you once you are on the road.

Make your choice based on what your truck is actually rated for and how much your trailer weighs (actually weigh it after loading). Look at pin wt, Combined wt and towing wt. Rather then what anyone's opinion is, including mine! :)

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote