Thread: Reese Pin Box
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
fjr vfr

Your tow rating is not the big concern. Neither is your rv's tires and suspension. The main concern is the payload on your truck. Unlike a bumper pull which has about 12% of it's weight on the hitch, mitigated some with a weight distribution hitch, a 5th wheel has 20% of it's gross on the truck. In your case that's close to 2,000 pounds. Then you add the hitch weight, passenger, driver and anything else carried in the truck. That is your payload. Bring it onto a CAT scale at a truck stop. Spend the $10 they charge and I'll bet you're well over your truck's payload. Btw, on your driver door jam what is listed as payload for your truck? Is it over the 2,000 plus pounds you'll have on the truck? I bet so.
Also that 7,775 pounds listed as empty on the sticker, is in reality the trailers stripped weight as it leaves the factory without gas bottles, batteries, spare tire and any accessories. It is not a real world weight. I've weighed several of my trailers and found even when not loaded they were much closer to the gross than I would have thought.
Let us know what it weighed on the CAT scale. you can check it when you stop for fuel during your trip. Make sure each set of wheels are on separate pads so you'll know how much is on each axle. Also take the truck up by itself then do the math and you'll know how much the pin weight is. Let us know.
On another note: we tend to show more concern when it comes to 1/2 ton trucks. When someone pushes the limits on their 2500, 3/4 ton it's not as big an issue because all the heavy duty trucks have the heavy frame and full floating axle. 1/2 ton trucks have a lighter frame and a semi-floating axle. Sometime when you're near a 2500 just stoop down and look at the rear axle, then look at yours. Look at the frames too. There is a big difference. Check YouTube for semi-floating axle verses full floating. It should be interesting to see the difference.
Anyway good luck and hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote