View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Pete Morris

Wingnut;

Thank you for all the information you have been very helpful not only in this response, but also in a lot of the research that I have been doing on this site.

We also have been doing the graduated truck thing over the past several years, and I am really trying to stop that cycle right now. In my attempt to pair the right truck with the right trailer, I am a little bit at a disadvantage, because all I have to work with is imaginary or historical numbers. I can make my best guess possible at what the truck or trailer really weights, and I certainly have paid attention to historical data here from what people with similar setups have posted as real time weights.

What I'm trying to avoid is investing $60.000 into a TV only to find out it will not handle the 5'er that we are interested in, or buying the 5'er first, (at another $60,000) only to discover I need a bigger truck than expected. Spending that type on money that does not come lightly to us, so I want to be as sure as possible prior to purchasing.

I am really trying to stay away from the dual wheel set up, as aside from pulling the camper the truck will also be my everyday vehicle, and the dual rear tires has some disadvantages in everyday living.

Living in Myrtle Beach, I have the ability to observe lots of TV / trailer set-ups. I see lots of F-350 pulling similar rigs, (but that in itself does not make it right), so I believe that I should be just fine. Hell I even see F-250 6.7's pulling them which is what I originally intended on buying.

Even if I could get the dealer to let me take a 3820FK for a test weigh; which I don't believe will happen, I do not yet own the F-350 nor is it set up to pull a trailer, so this is currently not an option.

What comes first? The chicken or the egg? I guess it may be time to jump into the deep end of the pool.
Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote