View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
LindaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpws
Wow - thanks so much. I'm now horrified!
what is the relevance of the GVRW of 10k, if the GCWR is 23k?
GVWR is the amount the TRUCK can weigh with everything loaded into it, including the hitch weight of the fiver.

GCWR is the total amount of weight for the truck AND the fiver combined.
Quote:
So, the best i can determine if the the curb weight of my F250 4dr crew cab short bed 6.4L diesel is 6500 lbs, and assumed full tank with 3 passengers at around 7500# total truck weight. So if i do the math you provided, 23,000 GCRW - 7500 total truck weight = 15500# that i can tow.
Assuming your 7,500# loaded weight of your truck is a correct figure (you'd have to take it down to the local scales loaded up like it would be for any trip including a full tank of fuel, all passengers and gear that will be loaded into the truck, including the weight of the fifth wheel hitch to find out if that figure is accurate), then yes, since 23,000# minus 7,500# equals 15,500# that would be the maximum loaded weight of any fifth wheel you should be pulling. In reality, you would want to tow something that weighs less so that you're not at the maximum of your truck's capacities.
Quote:
My GVRW is 10,000. So if my truck weights 7500 loaded, my max pin weight should be 2500#? and if that is the case and pin weight is 20% of the total, i will be at my capacity with an empty trailer (12500#)
Yep, that's pretty much the case.
Quote:
what im struggling to understand, is how can i max out at 12500 when my tow rating is 15200?
GVWR is always the weak point for a 3/4-ton truck. If you take a look at the 2008 Ford Towing Guide to which I gave the link, you'll see that a similarly-equipped 3/4-ton and DRW 1-ton truck have pretty much the same tow rating. But take a look at the payload capabilities...in all cases, the DRW 1-ton will be able to carry more in the bed than the 3/4-ton.
Quote:
I didnt find anything about "axle weight" as was mentioned above.
Would air bags help my cause?
Air bags will help in keeping your truck from "squating." They will do nothing to increase any of the weight ratings (GVWR, GCWR, payload).
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote