Thread: Big Trucks....
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Motor31

I don't have an MDT, I have an HDT. Purchased in 04 when there were no light duty trucks with the capacity of the Excel unit I had with a GVW of 17.5k. I got it for $30k when the 1 tons were running $50k and up. I put it in D for drive and Granny likes to drive it as well.

So far, even though it was a used unit with just under 500k miles the repairs have been very few. I did have new bushings installed in the front end back in 05 at a HDT rally. The rig went through a VIS check and they said there was some minor play and it may cause some tire wear. I paid to have it done, should have waited as they botched the front end alignment and I had to get new steer tires.

Other than drive tires, one set of brake shoes (the factory originals) a muffler and exhaust elbow, I haven't had to do anything other than oil and filter stuff. Well I did replace the air bags this year, they were 13 years old and starting to weather crack.

Mileage is 8+ per gallon in the mountains and since 3/4 of my driving is in the Rockies that's the main factor. I average 7k to 8k miles per year towing. That's not bad since it tows not only the trailer but the car and carries my Goldwing as well. We use the bike and car for the daily drive around and to explore.

I figure the toter will last as long as we want to be on the road, anywhere for another 10 to 15 years or so.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote